When you look in the mirror, what do your teeth look like? Are they beautiful pearly whites or are they dull, drab, or yellow-ish looking? There are a variety of reasons for teeth discoloration ranging from the foods you eat to the medications you take. Luckily, we have solutions for you. We’ll be discussing what’s causing your teeth discoloration and what you can do about it.
What is Causing Your Stained Teeth?
There are a few types of discoloration that can happen to your teeth. The first is extrinsic staining caused by an external factor, like foods or beverages. Another is intrinsic, such as a side-effect of medication or trauma to the tooth, for example. Age is also the other factor that leads to staining. We’ll share more details of the culprits that can lead to stained teeth:
- Foods – Certain foods can lead to stained teeth, including berries, soy sauce, tomato-rich pasta sauces, balsamic vinegar, food dye, colored candy or popsicles, and chocolate.
- Beverages – Drinks like wine, tea, coffee, and soda all can contribute to discoloration.
- Medications – There is an extensive list of medications that can lead to staining. So if you are taking any particular medication, discuss it with your dentist to find out if it’s causing your stained teeth.
- Dental Damage – If you damage the nerves of your teeth, this can darken your teeth.
- Fluoride – This is another example of intrinsic staining. If you consume too much fluoride, the enamel remineralizes too fast which causes white spots.
- Aging – As you get older, your tooth enamel starts to wear down. This combined with some intrinsic and extrinsic factors (like food, beverages, or medications) can all lead to discoloration.
What Can You Do About Teeth Discoloration?
While it can be frustrating to deal with stained teeth, luckily we have a solution for you! Our cosmetic treatment options can get rid of those stubborn stains to give you a sparkling smile. Here’s what you can choose from:
- Teeth Whitening – We offer two types of professional teeth whitening: at-home and in-office. It’s all based on what’s most convenient for you. Both options are also far better than anything you’d buy in the store, which can often take too long and not give you the results you want.
- Veneers – Looking for a more permanent solution? Veneers can not only get rid of stubborn stains but they can take care of flaws like chips, cracks, or misshapen teeth. We offer porcelain and prepless veneers. We’ll work with you on which is the best option for your smile goals and budget!
Time to get the white teeth you’ve always wanted! Call Schope Dental today at 719-675-5238 to schedule an appointment in Colorado Springs, CO or schedule one .